Sunday, April 29, 2007

 Fitness

 Fitness - Moving Crew - washingtonpost.com

 Susan Morse, Sharon Sellers, Eve Zibart and Steve Basdavanos
 Washington Post Health Section

 
Tuesday, April 10, 2007; 11:30 AM

 The  Moving Crew  is here to take your questions, comments, stories and ideas about personal fitness.

 Sharon Sellers  and  Steve Basdavanos  of Rock Creek Sports Club joined Washington Post staff writer  Eve Zibart  and The Post Health section's  Susan Morse  on  Tuesday, April 10, at 11:30 a.m. ET  to take your questions about health and fitness.



 A transcript follows

 --The Moving Crew

 The Moving Crew will be online to take questions every other Tuesday at 11:30 a.m. ET.

 Browse the Archives:

Recent Columns  (Related)  | Discussions  (Related) 

 ____________________

 Susan Morse:  Hi there Crewsters. Have we got a fitness team for you today.

 Joining me is Washington Post staff writer Eve Zibart, who wrote today's Moving Crew column (in the Health section of The Washington Post) about exercising in a time of mold and pollen. Eve found out only as an adult why some of her spring outdoor runs were leaving her breathless: The reason was asthma she didn't know she had. She's since learned some ideas for helping exercisers deal better with allergies and asthma this time of year.

 Also back with us today, by popular demand, are Sharon Sellers, general manager of the Rock Creek Sports Club in Silver Spring, and Steve Basdavanos, personal training manager at the club. Sharon and Steve are an enthusiastic and knowledgeable pair, ready for your questions on all things fitness.

 Let's get started!

 _______________________

 Washington, D.C.:  Hi Moving Crew! I've hit an exercise slump. I usually work out six times a week by doing an aerobics video, yoga, and some strength exercises. I hit a plateau and have taken up running outside. Ironically, I used to run as my only form of exercise before my shins/knees gave out. I like the running but I want to mix it up some more and be more challenged. Plus, I'm wary about my knees -- they're already feeling very sore. Should I sign up for a personal trainer? Any ideas?

 Sharon Sellers:  Hello Washington D.C.,

 Continue with the cross-training. If your knees continue to bother you, reduce the running days. Watch for overtraining -- if you find yourself excessively tired take an additional day of rest.

 _______________________

 washingtonpost.com:Fitness in a Time of Mold and Pollen  (Related)  Fitness in a Time of Mold and Pollen (Post, April 10)

 Eve Zibart:  If you didn't see my piece on the unexpected 20-minute fade, here it is:

 Susan Morse:  Here's a link to today's Moving Crew column, for those of you who haven't read it:

 _______________________

 Chevy Chase, Md.:  I know weight-bearing exercise is needed to maintain or increase bone density, but what I want to know is this: does the weight-bearing exercise increase bone density everywhere in the body? Will walking increase bone density only in my feet, legs and hips?

 Eve Zibart:  Weight-bearing exercise benefits have to do with those bones being "muscled about," so to speak...so walking works mostly on your legs and spine and hips (so important). If you want to work on the bones of the upper body, you need to get on the machines or free weights.

 _______________________

 Piscataway, N.J.:  I have been a jogger for more than 20 years, and I also do some work with weights (not a lot, just upper body). Over the past 6 months or so, it seems I am slowing down and it is bothering me a bit - not that I care that much about speed or breaking records, but such a change is kind of alarming. I am a 55-year-old woman and am going through menopause, could that do it? Is it normal to slow down when you age? Is there something I can do about it? I don't really feel tired, just like my legs are somewhat heavy and stiff instead of springy like I expect.

 Eve Zibart:  It sure sounds like the trouble I used to have this time of year that sent me to the allergist. Remember, you get more sensitive as time goes on, so it might not have anything to do with age or hormones at all.

 _______________________

 Alexandria, Va.:  I am a 28-year-old male, 140, who drinks about 50 oz of water a day. Until recently, I was including a soda with lunch. I decided to cut out the soda and ended up replacing it with sparkling water. And I love it. So much so that I have split my water consumption now about 50/50 between the bubbly stuff and the Deer Park. Is this okay to do? Or does "drink plenty of water" mean "drink plenty of water -- but not the sparkling kind."

 Eve Zibart:  Our other experts may want to weigh in on this, too, but for many years I drank mostly sparkling water, and aside for the occasional burps, it didn't bother me. However, check your particular brand; some have a lot of sugar and/or sodium, especially the fruit-flavored ones, and they might upset some stomachs.

 And incidentally, while we're talking drinking lots of water, let me tell one more story on myself that should ring bells for other women in particular: For years I said I was one of those people who "didn't sweat," even when I was running 10 or 12 miles. And for those same many years, I had periodic urinary track infections. But once I really started drinking enough water, I did sweat, I did recover a lot faster -- and I've never had another problem. PLEASE: hydrate. If you're not sweating when you exert yourself, it means you don't have enough water in your system.

 _______________________

 Hip stretch?:  Hi,

 I have knots in the muscles at the upper hip/lower back. Basically if you touch the end of the spine and then follow it across the line between the hips and the back there is much tightness. Is there a way to stretch these muscles out?

 Steve Basdavanos:  It sounds like the piriformis muscle is tight, possibly other abductor muscles in the hip. A stretch for that is the "4" stretch - lay on your back, bend one knee leaving the foot on the ground, place the other ankle over the bent knee (now your legs form the number 4) - pull the bent supporting knee to your chest. Now cross the legs completely and slowly lay the knees to one side, keeping both shoulders on the ground. Then bring the knees to the other side.

 _______________________

 Fairfax, Va.:  I loved the column about Metro escalators! I always wondered why I could run miles without thinking about my heart rate and be gasping for breath by the time I got to the top of Rosslyn's escalator! As someone who lives and works in multiple-story buildings and fears escalators, I think my stairclimbing endurance is improving, though. So a question: is it better to take the steps one or two at a time?

 And, since working out on escalators isn't the safest option and stairwells can be boring, are there ANY big hills in the area I can run up and down, a fond memory from my high school cross country days?

 Finally -- does ramping up the incline on the treadmill make a good substitute for stairclimbing? I find the stairclimbing machines much less appealing than treadmills. If so, what incline range should I be looking at?

 Thanks!

 Steve Basdavanos:  For good hills visit Rock Creek Park. Increasing the incline on the treadmill is a good way to increase the intensity but is not the same as a stairclimber or running stadium stairs.

 _______________________

 Reston, Va.:  In the past three weeks, I have begun to throw myself back into an exercise routine by getting up at 5 a.m. every other day and running/walking a two mile route.

 In addition, I am trying to alter my diet by including more veggies and less junk.

 The two questions I have are what, if anything, can I do to ease the pain in my shins after such a short run, and two, is it okay to alter my morning routine with squats, lunges, etc... instead of running. If not, should my running off days be mixed with the exercises that I can do in my driveway?

 Thank you.

 Susan Morse:  Hi Reston,

 Ouch. 5 a.m. More power to you.

 One immediate suggestion about those shins: Consider getting a new pair of sneakers or running shoes. Even if they look pretty good on the outside, the cushioning might be shot. It might also help to try shortening your stride.

 Yeah, absolutely, vary your routine -- particularly if your shins are still bothering you -- and also to keep from being bored. And think about getting a friend to join you some days. Sure would help me to get up at 5 a.m. if I knew someone was waiting on the corner for me.

 Good luck!

 _______________________

 Fairfax Station, Va.:  I'm a 47-year-old male who works out regularly but has recently focused on flexibility to help with my new interest in golf. I think over the years weightlifting has made me stiffer. My question; I have started going to yoga once a week for the last three weeks. I'm amazed at how difficult yoga is despite its positive results. How long does it take for yoga to become easier?

 P.S. they should have yoga classes for males older than 40. It's not fair that women of all ages have such flexibility.

 Sharon Sellers:  It depends on the individual and your initial conditioning and your flexibility. Flexibility can be improved but you have to stick with it, and you may never become as flexible as some of the others in class, but you will see an improvement.

 _______________________

 Milwaukee:  After 27-plus years of running and other aerobic activities, leg pain has become part of my everyday life...no big deal. But I did go to an Sports Orthopedic Doc and his evaluation suggests that the knees are benign, but I need to strengthen the core. I took my sit up regimen from 100 to 200 a day, but I thought some suggestions from you might be wise. Any exercises, using an exercise ball,etc....?

 Thanks, I enjoy this column very much.

 Sharon Sellers:  First, reduce the number of situps! If done properly 15 crunches should do. Now add additional core work that works all areas of the trunk -- planks, planks on the ball, side planks, trunk rotations, oblique crunches, bridges, back extensions. Try Pilates.

 _______________________

 Washington, D.C.:  After having gone through bronchitis and a sinus infection a few months ago, I find myself having trouble with my breathing while running. I usually complete five miles, but with a lot of panting and puffing from the very beginning.

 Is there a proper technique for breathing and a way to learn to do it properly?

 Eve Zibart:  Here are a couple of things to think about. One (again) is that your sinus and bronchial problems might be linked to seasonal allergies or asthma, so if you haven't had a doctor rule that out, or at least tried some antihistamines or decongestants, you should. But in general, I'm sympathetic: some times I feel like I'm out of breathing rhythm immediately! Even Jim Fixx used to write about how it took a half-mile or so for his to get smooth. It might be that you're starting off too fast. Remember that the first few minutes, you're warming up, and that includes your lungs, so take off in a (kinder) gentler mode. In terms of mechanics: Try to focus on expanding your diaphragm, not your chest; some trainers think that carrying your arms more toward the front of your body so that the hands are closer together, rather than pumping the arms entirely to the side, helps open up the diaphragm too.

 The good news is, I find that that the longer I'm regularly running, the quicker my breathing falls into place; your body "knows" itself better. So keep it up!

 _______________________

 Ashburn, Va.:  Good morning. Posting a little early today, and I wanted to ask about core exercises. What routine would you suggest for a good 15 minute core workout? I'm not really a fan of the exercise balls. I was thinking of doing plank, bridge, crunches and captain's chair.

 Steve Basdavanos:  Add a back extension and a side plank. You want to work the spine in all directions. But that sounds good.

 _______________________

 Question and a comment...:  I've been doing Pilates to tone up the belly and abs, how many times a week should I be doing it and when should I start seeing results? I've tried various abs exercises, with seemingly no effect.

 The comment is for anyone who doesn't believe that exercising gives you more energy: it does! If I haven't slept well the night before, I feel awful all day if I just laze in bed, however when I get up to do my 45 minutes on the treadmill, any effect of the bad night's sleep is erased!

 Thanks!

 Steve Basdavanos:  Pilates twice a week should be plenty. Pilates should be part of a total fitness regime that includes resistance training and cardio training. If you are still not seeing results in the abs, watch your caloric intake.

 _______________________

 Washington:  Hmmm, I have also been finding my normal (3-mile) run through the neighborhood a little more taxing the last couple of weeks. I thought it was because I am coming back from stress fractures, but I'm actually more out of breath than I was a month ago when I started back running. I'm not having any allergy symptoms during the day, however. How do I know whether it might be asthma? Or should I just wait out the spring and see if the summer is any better?

 Eve Zibart:  No, you shouldn't wait. See a doctor. No one, especially not I, would make a diagnosis only a doctor should make (and I doubt a doctor would make it without testing you). Fishman says some asthma sufferers feel better once the stress is resolved, so they brush the problem off. Even if it's "only" allergies, you could be making yourself more sensitive and open to a sinus infection, if nothing worse. And if you are allergic, and it's to something like mold rather than tree pollen, summer might not end it.

 _______________________

 Arlington, Va.:  Good morning! How do I fit lower-body weight training into my week? I tend to store fat in my legs, and I have a hard time losing/keeping off fat but I do quickly gain muscle. I do some form of cardio and core work 4-5 days a week. I also work in two days of upper-body weight training, normally using a combination of the circuit machines & free weights after I've done cardio. I also try to work in a day of lower body weight training. BUT I have such a hard time doing that. Even with very light weights, my legs end up so tired from the weight training that I struggle with cardio the next day (and sometimes days). I'm hesitant to shave off the cardio, because I have such a harm time losing/keeping off the fat. Any suggestions?

 Steve Basdavanos:  This sounds like a good routine, but if you find your legs that tired, it could be a sign of overtraining. Spot reducing does not work so that should not be a goal. Concentrate on overall fitness and review your diet.

 _______________________

 Arlington, Va.:  Thanks for taking my question, Crew. While I dislike using the treadmill, this winter I used it often and lost some weight. Now that it is light later and warmer (well, maybe not warmer), I'm back to running outside. I did a lot of interval training on the treadmill and liked all the control that treadmills give you -- my brain controlled how fast I ran, not my body. Now that I'm running outside, I'm afraid that I'm running slower and might lose the interval training benefits. Any suggestions?

 Eve Zibart:  But what made you think you can't do intervals outside? It's one of the best training routines. Sprint for four minutes and jog a couple to recover; repeat that 10 times and it's a serious hour's workout. Other ways to approach this: If you run at a track, take a run up the stairs in the bleachers every mile or so. Or lay out a route that has some hills in it. And then the days you're out on the canal or something and want just to relax into a rhythm, that's fine, too.

 _______________________

 Bethesda, Md.:  Hi Moving Crew,

 Since bikini season is around the corner (yikes!), I am really trying to work on my abs. I have been doing 4-5 days of cardio and 2-3 days of lifting for the past few years, but am wondering how often and how many reps of ab exercise I should aim for. Should I do 3 sets of 15-20 reps like I do in my other strength training? Also, what are the most effective ab exercises?

 Thank you very much for your help!

 Steve Basdavanos:  Research has shown the most effective ab exercise is the "bicycle" -- laying on your back and bringing opposite knee to elbow. However, your abs will show when you reduce bodyfat. Your routine sounds good, but a balanced diet must be part of the equation.

 _______________________

 Ashburn, Va.:  Hello,

 Can you talk about the main effects of thermogenic fat loss supplements versus caffeine-based fat loss supplements? Is one better than another? Or does it all come down to diet in the end game?

 Steve Basdavanos:  I'm saying it again -- eat a balanced diet. We generally do not recommend supplements.

 _______________________

 Takoma Park, Md.:  I was diagnosed with a pinched nerve in my neck about a month ago. I had to stop my jazzercise (which included working with hand weights) and have been doing physical therapy three times a week for the past four weeks with two weeks to go. I can't say enough good things about physical therapy! Who'd have thunk it, it really works! My problem is, that even if my doctor okays me to go back to jazzercise in the near future, I'm getting nervous about re-injuring myself. I'm looking for something less "bouncy", possibly walking with yoga? Joining Curves? Any ideas? Thanks!

 Eve Zibart:  Oh boy, you're singing my song. I had to give up running for years for the same reason. And yes, PT is a godsend. In fact, it was my physical therapist who got me into Pilates; we do it together, and have been for several years. It's a great mix of cardio, balance, strength training...even mindfulness. And it's hilarious fun. The thing about Curves is it's sorta like Chapter One: you learn the machines and the moves, but you can't add on weight, so if you want to progress, you have to move on.

 _______________________

 Sore Shins in London, UK:  I recently took a high impact sports conditioning class, and my shin has been really sore ever since. What could I have done, and what can I do to fix it? I am a runner, and I do not think it is shin splints. Cheers!

 Sharon Sellers:  See a doctor. Possible stress fractures.

 _______________________

 Bethesda, Md.:  I mainly do cardio on elliptical machines, 30 minutes during the week and 70 minutes on the weekends. However I noticed that my knees are hurting...are there any stretches that I can do to lessen the pain?

 Susan Morse:  Hi Bethesda,

 Tricky joints, aren't they.

 After I warm up (at least 10 minutes on the bike or treadmill or equivalent), I like to do what they taught me at rehab some years back. Stretch the hamstrings and quadriceps, then follow that with two sets of squats (body weight back over the heels, please) to strength quads and take pressure off knees.

 For hamstring stretch, stand on one leg, place the other straight on a chair. Reach toward toes. Hold stretch.

 For quad stretch, lean forward, arms bent, front leg bent, back leg straight, pressing body toward wall or post. Keep back foot flat on floor. Hold stretch.

 _______________________

 Re shin pain:  To Reston -- if you're having shin pain, you should figure out what is causing it. Yes, it might be the shoes, but if they are new, it's possible they are the wrong kind for you. I had chronic shin pain on the outside of my shin, often after running less than a mile. Turned out I had minor stress fractures. Before that diagnosis, I bought new shoes, got custom orthotics, stopped running downhill, did shin-strengthening exercises, adjusted my running gait, etc. What worked was a few weeks rest, then starting back slowly. Definitely figure out the cause of the shin pain, because it will hold you back!

 Susan Morse:  Good point, here. Yeah, after you do the easy stuff -- like replacing your shoes -- if the pain continues, please see your doctor. Thanks for the helpful comments.

 _______________________

 College Park, Md.:  I've recently been recovering from a bout of ITBS. I was just starting training for a May half-marathon when I had to quit a long run due to shooting pain in the outside of my knee. I've been icing, cutting back the intensity of my runs and my weekly mileage, making sure I stretch thoroughly after every run and most evenings, and doing exercises to strengthen my adductor muscles to support my ITB. Is there anything else I could be doing to help myself through this? I'm back up to an 8-mile long run (I've been back to running for three weeks with no pain) with a 10-miler scheduled for this weekend, which would keep me on schedule for the half-marathon, even with a cutback week after this week. My concern is that I do still feel some tightness in the side of my leg, though it might be mostly mental because I'm hyper-aware of it right now.

 Sharon Sellers:  Shooting pains is not good and should prompt a doctor visit. Once cleared by the doctor that there is no real damage, overall balanced leg training is needed which would include hamstrings, quadriceps, abductors and adductors. And lots of stretching.

 _______________________

 Alexandria, Va.:  I've really worked at taking off weight and getting fit for the past year. I have never been a runner or a jogger. Last summer I biked and walked. Over the winter I've worked out 5 or 6 says a week. Either a class or treadmill or elliptical, etc. My stamina is up. But I have never run outside. I can keep a pretty good pace on the treadmill, but the treadmill makes you stay at a pace. How do you pace yourself outside? I know that is a stupid question and I know I should just get out and do it. But I am curious how to make the most of my workouts. Thanks

 Eve Zibart:  One rule of thumb you see a lot about pacing yourself is that you should be able to keep up a conversation (not an ornate debate) while running. In other words, you want to be breathing hardER than usual, but not too hard. (I find I'm sort of humming to the radio sometimes, which I hope counts.) But you can go about it some other ways. You can use a watch to replicate the pace you generally set on the treadmill (go to a local track if you don't have a mile-marker handy). Or run just as is comfortable for a couple of weeks and then try to pick it up a little if it starts to feel too easy.

 _______________________

 Silver Spring, Md.:  I would love to improve flexibility and agility, but yoga scares me because I am so not flexible and I have a hard time holding poses without hurting or being annoyed. I love kundalini, but it's really not offered anywhere in D.C. (except Spiral Flight and their schedule is very limited.) Do you have any suggestions for getting over this fear or things I could do before going to a class where I would completely embarrass myself? I've only tried hatha (and kundalini), so I don't really know what all the other styles are about and I'm afraid I'll look like an idiot, slow the class down and/or get frustrated if I just show up at a class.

 Sharon Sellers:  You did not say whether you have tried yoga in a gym or studio. Most yoga studios offer beginning yoga classes. Gym yoga expect a wide range of levels of participants so the instructor should be able to bring along a beginner without slowing the class down. Be sure to let the instructor know before class that you are new. Most yoga instructors love to introduce yoga to newbies!

 _______________________

 Monterey, Calif.:  I've recently increased the duration of my aerobics exercise from 20 min to 25 min/day (other exercises take up 40 minutes). But after exercising, I feel really, really tired. My cardio monitor tells me that I'm not overexerting during the exercise (about 135-140 for a 46-year-old male). Any thoughts on what may be causing this? What should I do?

 Steve Basdavanos:  This could be a symptom of a lack of post-exercise nutrition. Be sure to eat a carb/protein combination within a half hour of your workout.

 _______________________

 N.Y. by way of Fairfax County!:  I am a very active 33-year old woman. I've been working out for 6 days a week, probably for about 3 years now.. mix of cardio/weight training. It occurred to me this year that I am starting to look a tad too bulky for my taste. I have switched all my weight training to Pilates/yoga and would like this to be the focus for the summer. Will this help "lengthen" muscles per se? or am I just going to lose all the toning/strength I've gained?? FYI: my cardio is a mix of running, kickboxing and various classes.

 Steve Basdavanos:  Don't give up the strength training completely -- it's too important for bone density and muscle retention. Pilates will help with core strength and the illusion of lengthening because of the improvement in posture.

 _______________________

 Kensington, Md.:  I would like to learn Pilates. Can you refer me to some places that offer classes in the Bethesda/Kensington area?

 Thanks.

 Susan Morse:  Hi Kensington,

 If it's mat Pilates you're looking for, most every gym in the area has classes in that. As the name suggests, only piece of equipment you need for this is a mat. Most of exercises are done lying down on mat -- on your back, front or side. But you'll sweat all the same -- and work your core muscles -- which is the idea.

 If you want to try the harder core amd pricier version with cables and pulleys, you'll need a full-fledged studio. Balance Pilates studio in Bethesda is one such place. Can't speak to experience there personally because I haven't tried it.

 _______________________

 Tysons, Va.:  How do you fit all the exercising in? Right now I'm doing weights three times a week for about 30 to 45 minutes and then a cardio workout for 30 minutes. In addition I do a 45 minute cardio workout three days a week. I also want to take yoga classes two times a week, and develop a daily home practice. I see you recommending Pilates two times a week as well. There doesn't seem to be enough time in the day, since I workout in the evenings after work. I'm not going to get up earlier in the morning to do more workouts, so that's not an option. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with how to incorporate it all.

 Eve Zibart:  No wonder you're wondering how to fit anything more in! I'll bow to our experts, but it seems to me you might not need to be doing cardio the same day as your weights if you're also doing cardio on the alternative days...What about replacing one or two of those 45-minute days with Pilates and/or yoga? Then, once you have the principles under your belt, and you miss the extra cardio, you can do the yoga/Pilates at home.

 _______________________

 Washington, D.C.:  Hi,

 Due to a recent move, I've gone from going to the gym (30-45 min cardio on treadmill or elliptical) about 6 times a week, to going about 3 times a week (20 min cardio, and weight training) but walking to work (about 2.5 miles, 50 minutes, five times a week). My question is, will this balance out to be about the same amount of exercise? I feel like if I'm not going to the gym and getting sweaty enough to need a shower, it doesn't count! (I'm trying to tone up and lose about 10 pounds.) Thanks!

 Sharon Sellers:  I love what you are doing! You have trained yourself to know that exercise can be done anywhere. Your activity level is good. Maintain the strength training and enjoy the walking -- you're helping reduce global warming as well!

 _______________________

 Virginia:  Before my accident, I worked out 4-5 times a week. Not strenuously; but about 20-30 minutes aerobic either on treadmill or swimming and an occasional weight session.

 After accident: Zip. Walking on crutches; can put my foot/knee down but I cannot bend my knee up or feel confident enough to give up crutches (limping and have a small bone fragment loose as well). PT starts tomorrow but I'm terrified I will reinjure the knee and regain all of my weight I've lost (60-plus pounds) in the past year.

 I thought last night "hey I could go swimming" but realized I probably can't even get OUT of the pool at this point. Any suggestions?

 Sharon Sellers:  Follow the advise of your PT.

 _______________________

 Eve Zibart:  Re: Pilates classes. Level in Cabin John (where I go) has not only mat Pilates but Reformer and Cadillac.

 _______________________

 Connecticut:  I know what exercises to do to protect my knees. What exercises do you recommend for protecting the hips? (Or -- what muscles support the hip joint?)

 Thanks!

 Sharon Sellers:  Compound movements such as squats, lunges and deadlifts. Balance work, doing movements on one leg and working on the BOSU will activate the smaller muscles of the hip joint.

 _______________________

 Oklahoma City, Okla.:  Being physically "fit" is to be commended, however, being biologically "fit" is equally, if not more, important. Many individuals who are "thin, lean or in shape" are not necessarily "healthy." To sustain longevity in life, being "healthy" involves much more than exercise, one's "intake" must be considered. Would you agree

 Susan Morse:  Hi Big O,

 Absolutely. You have to consider whole picture. Lean people can be sedentary and not aerobically fit. Other folks can be overweight but physically active and in better "shape" fitness-wise. And yes, in either case, it's smart to consider not just the quantity of calories you're taking in, but their nutritional value.

 Anyone else want to join in here?

 _______________________

 Washington, D.C.:  I have had a painful IT band for about two years now, but recently it's been much worse after an injury to my opposite foot. My pain, unlike for most is concentrated in my hip not the knee. My doctor is hesitant to do cortisone shots, but stretching and ibuprofen isn't cutting it. I can't do any aerobic exercises now, except the bicycle and even that hurts a little, and I'm wondering if there is anything strength training-wise I could do to help?

 Sharon Sellers:  Get a second opinion. It could be another medical issue causing the pain. Or a muscle imbalance. It's amazing how a muscle imbalance in one area can manifest itself in another area. Note: many bikers have IT problems.

 _______________________

 Re: accident:  For the person on crutches -- my gym has a sort of "bicycle" for the upper body that people say is great aerobic exercise if you can't use your legs for whatever reason. I've seen people in wheelchairs using it. Basically, you hold the "pedals" and bicycle your arms. Might be a temporary solution if your PT okays it.

 Susan Morse:  I've never seen that, but sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

 _______________________

 Re: Balance:  I have been taking Pilates at Balance since Sept, and they are great. However, it is expensive, and I stopped taking the equipment (Reformer) class because it was just too pricey ($32/class with a ten-class card). The mat class is $15 if you buy a ten-class card, which is easier on my budget. Note that the difficulty level of the mat classes varies by instructor (not all the "beginner mat" classes are the same level, in other words), so ask when you sign up. (I have no affiliation with Balance other than taking classes there!)

 Susan Morse:  Good to hear from someone who's had first-hand experience. Thanks for this advice!

 _______________________

 Fairfax, Va,:  Hi There!

 I'm just starting to work out (started over the weekend) and I feel this time I am really committed. I met with a personal trainer to teach me how to use the weight machines and she also laid out a weight lifting plan for me. It takes me about 45 minutes to get through it. I plan to do that three times a week. Then run three times a week (I can only run about 20 minutes now, hope to work that up to about 45). Do I need to be doing cardio on the days I weight train as well? Or is an every other day (weights, cardio, weights, cardio, weights, cardio, break day) system okay? Thanks for helping me out!

 Steve Basdavanos:  Stick with your trainer's program, it's a good balance for someone just starting.

 _______________________

 Susan Morse:  Just curious. While we're all waiting for spring to burst forth again, what's the activity you're most looking forward to doing outdoors... and what are you doing to condition yourself for it? Care to share?

 _______________________

 Washington, D.C.:  I ran track in back high school and was forced to quit when I developed three stress fractures. I've always missed running, however, and I'm back at it about ten years later, about two miles three times a week on the treadmill. However, even with orthotics and fancy sneakers, my shins still kill after workouts. Is this my body telling me to stop, once and for all? Is there any exercise that is as effective and good for your heart as running? (The elliptical machine just isn't cutting it for me). Thanks!

 Steve Basdavanos:  There are exercises for the shin muscles and they may help if done consistently. But, yes, running may be hard for your body. In the meantime, try a spin class.

 _______________________

 Washington, D.C.:  I have a gym etiquette question -- what do you do when the gym staff doesn't say anything to people who aren't dressed for the gym but are nonetheless working out? In the past few weeks I have seen people working out in cut-off denim shorts, and I even saw two people lifting weights wearing flip flops! This seems like a major safety issue. I feel awkward saying something to the people directly, so I was wondering if you could give me some advice as to what to say to the staff.

 Eve Zibart:  This is a pet peeve of mine: In fact, I keep threatening to write a long story about how poorly club members, especially newbies, are instructed about safety. (No, you shouldn't just walk onto the track in front of the runners. No, the little kids shouldn't be in the Jacuzzi because the heat isn't good for them. Etc.) I think too many clubs hired not certified trainers but wannabe trainers or kids who get jobs so they can use the gym free. But enough carping (for now). To answer your question, I think you should ask for a supervisor or manager on duty and say something tactful: "You know, you probably didn't notice but there are a couple of people trying to lift weights in flip-flops and I'm a little concerned that they might slip; do you think maybe you should suggest they wear better shoes next time?" As for the cutoffs, well, unless they're exposing themselves, depending on what they're doing that might be less of an issue. Just weird.

 Susan Morse:  I'll just add 2 cents to Eve's good reply here. If your gym manager doesn't do something about the flip flops, once it's brought to his/her attention, I'd have real concerns about the gym and their attention to safety.

 _______________________

 Sharon Sellers:  Gym etiquette is a good topic to review. Most common problems -- not putting weights away and not wiping down equipment after use. Also, do not enter a class after it has started. Do not attempt your own routine in the back of a class, or try to stretch in the corner of the studio during class. Please -- no cell phones on the gym floor or in class or in the locker rooms!

 _______________________

 Susan Morse:  Darn, that went fast. Thanks, Steve, Sharon and Eve!! Good questions, all! Hold those thoughts for next time. We'll be back in two weeks, same time, same place. In the meantime, send your fitness Qs to move@washpost.com. And look for us in the Health section of the Washington Post. Keep movin!

 _______________________

 Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Live Online discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.



 Post a Comment

 Comments: (Limit 5,000 characters)

 Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules  (Related)   governing commentaries and discussions. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.

 © 2007 Washingtonpost.Newsweek Interactive

No comments: