I'VE been a nice shade of mint for ages, but now, I'm pushing to go kelly green — maybe emerald if I can get even more focused.

  My inspiration? I happen to have a crush on Mother Earth and I have a 5-year-old daughter, so I'm more than just a bit interested in leaving her a lovely world.

  I've been doing eco-friendly things for years. I don't use plastic bags for my produce, I reuse bags for shopping, I've ditched incandescent bulbs for the energy-saving compact types.

  This was ages before the bubbly Cameron Diaz hopped behind the wheel of a Prius, before cutie-pie Leonardo DiCaprio graced the cover of Vanity Fair's huge enviro issue and well before Al Gore scored an Oscar for "An Inconvenient Truth."

  Although I'm quite a consumer, I've tried to balance it out.

  But in the greater scheme of things, there's really not much of a balance in the world, is there?

  There are global warming issues, landfills piled to high heaven, and waste, so much waste.

  After my daughter was born, I upped the recycling ante and our recycling bins began to overflow while the contents in our everyday trash container shrunk.

  In the last few months I have traded harmful cleaning products for biodegradable versions. I now buy recycled napkins, toilet paper, foil and facial tissue. (Yes, I do kind of miss my softer Kleenex, but it's a small sacrifice).

  My latest move is a slightly bold one. I've nearly cut out buying bottled water. Even though the

 Advertisement
 bottles can be recycled (by the way, the lids can't be), they're still a bit unnecessary. And it still requires energy and resources to make them.

  I'm not suggesting you do everything on the "Be Good to Our Earth" list. Just do something. Maybe a couple of somethings.

  Here's one of my favorite easy-on-the-planet things to do: Score a reusable bag (or bags) for grocery shopping and, heck, just regular shopping, too.

  I especially like my Trader Joe's bag. It's only 99 cents; surely you can invest in that, right? I use it not only at T.J.'s but at Safeway, Target and Costco.

  I also have a couple of canvas bags that I use for big grocery shopping.

  By doing this, you cut down on unwanted/unused bags at home and on the not-so-great plastic bags.

  Try the Trader Joe's bag, or hit http://www.ecobags.com  (Related)   for other choices. At Heifer International, they have a swell organic cotton bag for $16. You have to order by phone (they're not online yet): (800) 422-0474.

  Whatever hue you pick, at least try a shade of green, won't you?

  Reach Trine Gallegos at (925) 943-8075.